Monday, March 19, 2018

Reviewing the Mail: Week of 3/17/18

I'm back again, to list whatever new books wandered into my house over the past week. This time out, I have just one book, which came via old-fashioned publicity channels.

Black and White Ball is the 27th novel about Detroit PI Amos Walker, by Loren D. Estleman and published by Forge in hardcover on March 28th. Back in the early days of this blog, one of my first reading projects here was HELP -- a horribly tortured acronym for "Hornswoggler's Estleman Loren Project" -- under which moniker I read ten of the earlier books in this series. (There only were about 18-20 of them then; Estleman has been putting them out annually recently.)

This time out, Walker meets another one of Estleman's series characters, hit man Peter Macklin -- this, presumably, either because it was a fun idea or to try to get fans of both series to buy the book. I keep looking at my accumulation of Walker novels and thinking it's time to run through another big clump, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet -- maybe this one will be enough to get me to do that.

This is a strong traditional-PI series, with the requisite man who walks down the dark streets to do what has to be done; I've enjoyed all of the books I've read by Estleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment