Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Read in July

This was the month I decided to get serious about catching up on my reviews, and so I'm all caught up as this posts...right? (Note: I'm writing this on July 22nd, with 26 books in various piles on my desk, waiting for me to blather about them. I'll leave this part in, and note at the end how well I actually did.)

Paul Theroux, Ghost Train to the Eastern Star (7/2)

Ellen Forney, Lust (7/3)

Dan Wells, The Hollow City (7/5)

Ian Tregillis, The Coldest War (7/10)

Jasper Fforde, The Last Dragonslayer (7/12)

Guy Delisle, Jerusalem (7/13)

Mary Robinette Kowal, Glamour in Glass (7/17)

Timothy Noah, The Great Divergence (7/19)

Osamu Tezuka, The Book of Human Insects (7/20)

Matthew Murrie & Steve Murrie, The First Book of Seconds (7/20)
In every field of endeavor, there are winners, and then there is everyone else. Or, at least, that's how it used to be. The Murries -- they're son and father -- have collected 220 examples of the second-best people, places, and things, from the worlds of sports, pop culture, history, science, and the natural world. Each one of these silver medalists gets a page in this book, making it a wonderful choice for reading in locations where one might only have one or three minutes at a sitting. (That's where I read it, after all.) I'm afraid I won't remember most of these also-rans, but perhaps a few will stick in memory for trivia contests -- and it's a pleasant book to read, anyway.

Wendy Lefkon, editorial director, Birnbaum Guides 2009: Disneyland Resort: Expert Advice from the Inside Source: The Official Guide (7/21)

Bob Sehlinger, Seth Kubersky, & Len Testa, The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland 2012 (7/26)

Walt Kelly, Pogo: The Complete Syndicated Comic Strips, Vol. 1: Through the Wild Blue Wonder (7/28)

Christopher Buckley, They Eat Puppies, Don't They? (7/31)


Well, as of 8:40 PM on the 31st, I only have 7 books from this month (and one from earlier) that I haven't written about yet -- as opposed to the 26 books I had nine days ago -- and ten posts queued up to post over the next few days. I'm not totally caught up, but I can see it from here. And there are no links above, because the ones I've done are all in that queue of upcoming posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment