Thursday, July 19, 2012

Meta, Meta, Meta

I've been trying to make up something amusing to write about John Scalzi's post, yesterday, whose title proclaimed that he can handle bad reviews. (Backstory: I posted a mixed review of Redshirts here a few weeks back, which may have been one of the things that triggered Scalzi's "maybe you shouldn't read my books if you don't like them" post. And I hasten to repeat that I didn't consider that a "bad review" or that I dislike reading Scalzi's books.)

But it kept coming out too snarky, as if I was calling out Scalzi or insulting him. And that's not the case: I agree with his sentiments in both of those linked posts, even as I demur on the actual claim of my not-liking-his books. (Perhaps I don't like them sufficiently, but that's the way I am on most things: tepidly critical.)

So, instead, I'll just note that I attempted to make a joke, decided that I couldn't do it the way I wanted, and point in the direction of the joke that I didn't make. For that failure, I'm going to blame the fact that I spent the whole day constructing a series of big spreadsheets (pretty much out of my own head) for a Big Meeting tomorrow, and that my brain is tired. Perhaps I will be amusing tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment