Saturday, December 04, 2010

What I Did Today

Many things, actually, but the memorable one was:
  • spent two and a half hours in line, on a very cold street in Clifton, NJ, so my older son could get the autograph of someone who calls himself "The Angry Video Game Nerd" online [1].
They say that you do amazing things for your kids, but they don't know the half of it. This guy mostly focuses on retro-gaming, which made me feel simultaneously old and nostalgic. When your sons tell you about a funny online video in which some guy rants entertainingly about a twenty-year-old game, it will surprise them at least a little bit when you turn out to have a deep knowledge of that game yourself. And then when his crowd ranges from the age of your son (12) to perhaps a decade and a half older than that, you realize that none of them could have known the old Nintendo or Atari systems as anything but nostalgia.

I did get a rare moment of appreciation from Thing 1, and he even admitted that he "owes me one." Of such joys are parenting made....


[1] First, remember that this is coming from a man who calls himself "G.B.H. Hornswoggler" online, and realize that I'm defining, not complaining. Second, he seemed like a very personable, friendly guy once we finally got up to him.

1 comment:

RobB said...

I've been watching this guy's rants on teh intarwebs for the past couple of years. My brother-in-law, who is a decade younger than me, turned me on to him. It is funny when he reviews a game I've played and shows the same frustrations as I have.

Post a Comment