Monday, December 01, 2008

Weird Spam

We all get spam, and some of it is more coherent than others. I've gotten plenty of Russian spam over the past couple of years, along with the pieces that make you wonder if their senders are from this planet to begin with.

But, until today, I never got a piece of spam like this -- a single picture, with text in a language I don't read, which seems to be an ad for some shop, somewhere.

My best guess is that the language is Turkish, and the shop sells perfume, but I could be quite wrong. Why any such business would think it could do well by sending out random messages to the world, I don't know.

But here it is: it's professional-looking, for spam, so I grudgingly appreciate it, even as I completely fail to understand it. (I've even tried running it through Babelfish and some competitors, with no luck.)

4 comments:

moonrat said...

yeah, that's Turkish. but why Turkish perfume? why a customs counter? why you?!?! ohh, the questions!

Steve said...

Yup - and the phone number is a Turkish mobile provider...

Spine said...

From a Turkish-speaking Briton who's a regular reader and lives in Ankara:

Yes, this advert is indeed in Turkish. It is exhorting you NOT TO MISS the opportunity to take over the operation of a perfume stand that's blessed with high turnover and high profit margins in one of the country's "most famous" shopping centres.

It is an "unmissable opportunity for anyone who wants to do business in a shopping centre, the attractive face of shopping".

Contact Senem Hanim for more details.

Enjoy the blog. Best wishes.

Andrew Wheeler said...

Spine: Thanks for the translation!

The fact that it's a (presumably legitimate) business opportunity only makes it weirder as spam...

Post a Comment