Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Matter by Iain M. Banks

We'll start off with a quick quiz today; one question, with no right or wrong answer.

Q: Does this sound like a "space opera" to you?
In a roughly medieval (but modernizing) society with more developed neighbors, a smart, well-liked, and forward-thinking king has died on the battlefield. The official story is that he died of his wounds after fighting valiantly, but two men witnessed the king's closest advisor kill him with his own hands, and then monologue about how evil he (the advisor) is and how he will take control of the kingdom. One of those two witnesses is the king's eldest surviving son, who flees with a trusted servant to a neighboring country. He's trying to find his sister, who was sent to a more advanced society and is now working with their government. Meanwhile, the youngest prince -- the figurehead for the advisor's regency -- is coming to realize that he is in mortal danger.
OK, pencils down. Space opera or not?

Would you change your answers if I told you that there's really nothing metaphorical in that description? It's a realio-trulio feudal kingdom, with nobles and pageantry and swords and all that, and the True Heir heads off (into space, I'll admit, but not at high speed nor with anyone armed with more than swords chasing him) to find someone to help him depose his father's murderer. There are mile-wide starships -- this is a Banks novel, after all -- but a dismaying lack of coruscating beams of force, or of any conflict not involving either the aforementioned swords or very high-level diplomacy. All in all, Matter has a disconcerting lack of exploding Orbitals, high-speed chases, and games for the fate of empires.

There is an important Ancient Enigmatic Alien Artifact, but the AEAA doesn't show up until quite late in the proceedings. And, actually, the plot I outlined above is completely abandoned once the AEAA appears; its conflicts and issues quickly solved or shoved aside.

Don't get me wrong: Matter is a fine science fiction novel, with well-defined characters, a compelling storyline, and excellent writing. But if it's "space opera" based on the last fifty pages (which take place entirely within a planet, and in which the major death-ray-style combat is kept off-page), then there's hardly any SF novel every written that isn't "space opera." Matter is just SF, and there's nothing wrong with that.

If you're still trying to decide whether to read Matter, some possible tie-breakers:
  • it's mostly set within a "Shellworld," comprised of over a dozen concentric shells, each of which is individually habitable (and most are inhabited)
  • there are no major Mind characters, though a drone-turned-knife-missile does play a supporting role
  • and it has a typically Banksian cheerful and upbeat ending.
I liked Matter, but it also took me more than a week to read; it's overlong and just meanders along for most of its length. (Much like Banks's last SF novel, The Algebraist, in fact. Matter's ending, though, is less abrupt than The Algebraist's.) Those with smaller to-be-read piles than I do won't mind this as much, of course. But with that plot and that cover, I doubt Matter will be the long-hoped-for breakout book by Banks in the US market; it's for those of us who already know and enjoy his writing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked Matter, as I've been waiting for Robert Reed's next Marrow novel.

Anonymous said...

I dunno, when I read a few Amazon comments I expected Matter to be like 80% medieval fantasy, but it's anything but! The passages set in the medieval-like world are entertaining anyway, but they're speckled with interesting factoids about the Shellworld, and there are frequent diversions into the Culture and other sfnal settings all the way through.

I didn't find it boring at any point, and I don't like fantasy at all. I don't know what all the fuss is about rilly.

Andrew Wheeler said...

Peter: Very interesting. You will note, though, that I never called Matter a fantasy at all; I merely said it was mostly about a low-tech feudal kingdom.

Is the genre audience so battered by epic fantasy that they can't conceive of a king without a dragon to slay?

Brad Holden said...

Isn't two thirds of what is on the shelf (in our tiny little ghetto) about kings and dragons anyway?

That said, after Inversions and Feersum Endjinn, I think I know what to expect,

Anonymous said...

zqHi

Thanks for your review. I have just finished this book and was really disappointed so was looking for some more positive news about the novel.

I adore all of Iain Banks earlier sci-fi and reread them regularly - he is one of the authors by whom I judge all other sci-fi.

I just found this book overlong (I think about 3/4 quarters could be easily edited out) and erratic - lots of detail about things that didn't matter, and precious little about anything much that did. For me, it didn't have that edginess and darkness that was so characteristic of his earlier novels - filled with memorable characters who for one reason or another get themselves into situations from which there can be no happy return. So they go out all 'guns blazing' as it were. I really didn't care about anyone after the first 100 pages or so....and that ending/s.....sheesh...

There is always an air of poignancy to his plots and a elegant tersness to his writing that I sorely missed in this.

Even if I pretend this was not by Iain, I would be disappointed in it...

and we have to wait 18 months for another go?

Post a Comment