Friday, September 14, 2007

Olive or Twist? by Jack Ziegler

Abrams has been publishing a series of cartoon books over the past several years -- each one collects cartoons by one New Yorker cartoonist, on (roughly speaking) a single subject. I've been grabbing them as I find them, because I'm a sucker for good single-panel cartoons. I have another one by Ziegler, and two by Leo Cullum, and there are probably nearly a dozen in all by now.

This one's from Jack Ziegler, and it's all about drinking. What more should I say? There's an awful lot of cartoons here about guys in bars, as one would expect. I found most of them at least amusing, and a number of them laugh-out-loud funny. Whether you would agree depends, I suppose, on your personal sense of humor.

So let me give you a little taste (besides the cover cartoon). In the hopes Mr. Ziegler doesn't mind (and considering it in the nature of a short excerpt embodied in a review), here's my favorite cartoon in the book:

















If you like that one, you'll probably like this book. If not, not.

No comments:

Post a Comment