Friday, October 13, 2006

Hornswoggler II: Find the Map! Soundtrack

As I said earlier today, I did a version of this meme before -- but that won't stop me from doing it again! So this time, it must be the soundtrack for the obligatory sequel, in which more things blow up, the sidekick gets too much screen time, and the wonderful love interest from #1 is replaced by a grating blonde.

The version I'm using this time was picked up from Caitlin R. Kiernan (who had the absolute best fight song), and goes as follows:

IF YOUR LIFE WAS A MOVIE, WHAT WOULD THE SOUNDTRACK BE?
1. Open your library (iTunes, Winamp, Media Player, iPod, etc)
2. Put it on shuffle
3. Press play
4. For every question, type the song that's playing
5. When you go to a new question, press the next button
6. Don't lie and try to pretend you're drad...
[Comments from me will be in italics inside brackets. For example: drad? What is this "drad?"]

[Oh, and I'm not using my full library, since I have something like fourteen thousand songs, and a huge chunk of them are part two of movement three of something. I'm still working from a list of 8957 songs, though, so it should be random enough.]

Opening Credits
"Brilliant Disguise" by Elvis Costello
["He thought he was the king of America, where they pour Coca-Cola just like vintage wine..."
Sure I am.]

Waking Up
"Psychotic Reaction" by Count Five
[I guess it works.]

First Day at School

"One Step Ahead" by Split Enz
[Slightly creepy, a bit like the flip side of "Every Breath You Take." Doesn't make much sense in context...]

Falling in Love
"These Days" by R.E.M.
[If those last two were swapped, it would make more sense.]

Fight Song
"Country Death Song" by Violent Femmes
[I fight dirty, I guess.]

Breaking Up
"Reaching Out" by Kate Bush
[Another song that would work much better in another category, but mid-period Kate Bush is all pretty moody, so it's plausible.]

Prom
"Utopia Parkway" by Fountains of Wayne
[Damn! Missed "Prom Theme" by that much. Same album, even. This can be slow-danced to, if you really want to.]

Life is Good
"Counting Backwards" by Throwing Muses
[It's relatively happy-sounding. I'll take that as a win.]

Mental Breakdown
"Yesterday" by The Beatles
[My movie has descended into horrible cliche. Luckily, there's no chance we'd be able to afford this one, so I'm sure we'll have to replace it with something else in post-production.]

Driving
"Less Than Zero" by Elvis Costello
[I'd have preferred "Radio, Radio" or "Lipstick Vogue" or "(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea," but this will work.]

Flashback
"Rip This Joint" by The Rolling Stones
[Flashing back to my days as a bouncer in a honky-tonk bar, apparently. I knew should have kept up with those script revisions...]

Getting Back Together
"You Can Sleep While I Drive" by Melissa Etheridge
[This one is actually perfect.]

Wedding
"Liar" by Sex Pistols
[We may be looking at the world's shortest marriage in this movie.]

Paying the Dues
"Lonesome Johnny Blues" by Cracker
[Life is tough all over.]

The Night Before the War
"How Far" by Beth Orton
[Doesn't really work at this point in the movie -- it's a bit too jazzy and high-spirited, but the lyrics aren't bad for the "event."]

Final Battle
"Broken" by Belly
[Featuring a line I take ungodly pleasure in hearing Tanya Donelly sing: "the curve of her ass is unparalleled" -- what kind of battle is this, anyway?]

Moment of Triumph
"It's Not" by Aimee Mann
[One of my very favorite songs of all time, but...it is so very, very much not a song of triumph.]

Death Scene
"Six Months in a Leaky Boat" by Split Enz
[SPOILER ALERT! I seem to have drowned.]

Funeral Song
"I'm Not Like Everybody Else" by Cracker
[I could see having Kinks songs played at my funeral -- I could even see Kinks covers. And I like this song, and this version. But it's awfully present-tense for a funeral.]

End Credits
"Trouble Me" by 10,000 Maniacs
[I can see a long list of names rolling up in front of me as this plays, so it works.]

No comments:

Post a Comment