Saturday, July 22, 2006

Yet Another Meme About Sharing Too Much

Once again we learn that the blog world (I will never use that one-word term that ends in -sphere) is just like high school, only with even more inappropriate sharing. But, since I like to occasionally have entries here that aren't purely navel-gazing essays on books or movies, I figured I'd give this one (which I saw Keith R.A. DeCandido filling out) a whirl.

1. Elaborate on your default icon.
And this is how I can tell immediately that this quiz is aimed at LiveJournal types. One of the reasons I'm on Blogger is so I don't have to worry about things like "default icons."

2. What's your current relationship status?
A: I'm not sure that's any of your business.
B: Fair to middling.
C: 85% complete, and on target for rollout in the early fall.
Pick whichever answer you find most amusing and/or informative.

3. Ever have a near-death experience?
Nope.

4. Name an obvious quality you have.
To paraphrase the immortal Olive Oyl, I am large.

5. What's the name of the song that's stuck in your head right now?
After that last question, I'm afraid it's now "He's Large."

6. Any celeb you would marry?
In theory, yes. But I'm married at the moment, and bigamy is still (sadly) illegal, so I'll leave it at that.

7. Who will cut and paste this first?
No one at all, I imagine. I'm doing it mostly to amuse myself.

8. Name someone with the same birthday as you.
How about two? Gorilla Monsoon and Socrates.

9. Do you have a crush on someone?
No.

10. Have you ever vandalized someone's private property?
Not that I can recall. Way back in high school, when drunk, I was part of an aborted plot to tip over someone's VW Bug, but nothing ever came of that. (See the word "drunk," above.)

11. Have you ever been in a fight?
Yes, but not since graduating high school in 1986. So perhaps I'm due...

12. Have you ever sung in front of a large audience?
Yes, but not since graduating high school. (I was part of a Madrigal group, and, before that, sang in my church choir.)

13. What's the first thing you notice about the OPPOSITE sex?
Whether she's a redhead or not.

14. What do you usually order from Starbucks?
I've been in a Starbucks only two or three times that I can recall. (I don't drink coffee.) I think I had a regular tea the last time I was there.

15. Have you ever hurt yourself on purpose?
No. Accidentally, though -- that I do all of the time.

16. Say something totally random about yourself.
My name is Elmer J. Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

17. Has anyone ever said you looked like a celebrity?
Does "the character of Dante Hicks in Clerks" count? If not, no.

18. Do you wear a watch? What kind?
Swiss Army something-or-other (found it: it's this thing). I'm actually on my second one; the first lasted eight or nine years, and I forget why I had to replace it. (I've also replaced the band several times as well.)

19. Do you have anything pierced?
No. And it's probably too late to start now.

20. Do you have any tattoos?
No. Ditto about being too late. I used to say I was going to get a Demonstar (from GrimJack) on my left shoulder, and, if I did ever get a tattoo, that would probably be it.

21. Do you like pain?
That question makes very little sense -- pain is that which is unpleasant. That's how it's defined. If you like it, it's not pain.

22. Do you like to shop?
For some things, yes. The usual meaning of that phrase, though, generally means "for clothes," and that I'm not too thrilled with.

23. What was the last thing you paid for with cash?
Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon cards for my two sons, at a garage sale this morning.

24. What was the last thing you paid for with a credit card?
Groceries at the A&P, also this morning.

25. Who was the last person you spoke to on the phone?
My wife.

26. What is on your desktop background?
A stitched-together photograph of the entire earth at night. (This is basically it, though the one I have is cropped differently.)

27. What is the background on your cell phone?
I have an old-fashioned cell phone (it must be three years old now), which doesn't have a color screen. The background is a vaguely greenish-gray.

28. Do you like redheads?
More than is good for me.

29. Do you know any twins?
No. This is beginning to sound like a dating service quiz.

30. Do you have any weird relatives?
My great-aunt is generally regarded as the loopy one in the family, but that might just be because she's the great-aunt, and it's a requirement of the position. I suspect that I'm the weird relative to my wife's family.

31. What was the last movie you watched?
Mrs. Dalloway, on Wednesday night. (It would have been Princess Mononoke, but the USPS failed to get it to me in today's mail delivery.) By this time tomorrow, it will be the original version of Shall We Dance.

32. What was the last book you read?
The Fate of the Artist
by Eddie Campbell. Not counting comics: A Heckuva Job by Calvin Trillin. Last substantial work of fiction: The Year's Best Fantasy & Horror 2006: Nineteenth Annual Collection edited by Ellen Datlow, Kelly Link & Gavin Grant.

No comments:

Post a Comment