Wednesday, May 17, 2006

2005 Tiptree Longlist Is Published

Unlike most awards, the James Tiptree, Jr. Memorial Award does not publish a list of nominees beforehand. Instead, something like this comes out after the award has been given, I guess so that writers can only find out that they lost too late to worry about winning. (And, presumably, for fans of the Tiptree to be pointed at stories they might want to read.)

I note that there is both a "short list" and a "long list," which is very odd to publish after the fact. It makes the long list stories look like also-rans, which I don't think is the intention. (Although, to be blunt, they are also-rans, since they didn't make the short list.)

I'll also note that there's a bit of a hoo-hah over at Elizabeth Bear's blog about one of the nominees, a web-published unfinished bit of slash fanfic. (Hornswoggler gazes over his glasses in dismay at the thought.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My understanding is that the lists are published so that readers can find other relevant works...I believe they don't always even publish a "long list" (but I haven't checked).

Anyway, thanks to linking to Bear's blog...amusing threads. Clearly, many people don't understand how the Tiptree Award works at all (it's not another Hugo; it's not another Nebula; it has one prime directive, and not the one most awards use; each year's jury is basically autonomous). So, reading the comments on her blog mostly had me rolling my eyes, but I was happy to see the Motherboard chair, Debbie Notkin, weigh in a few times.

Post a Comment