Thursday, April 06, 2006

Silly iPod meme

Stolen from Diana Peterfreund, who always seems to be doing goofy things like this on her blog.

Instructions: set your iPod on shuffle, ask the following questions. The songs that appear each time are your answers. Cheating is strongly frowned upon.

I'm actually doing this at home, so it's not my iPod, exactly, but iTunes on my Mac (which has a substantially larger library to choose from -- I can only get about 8000 songs onto the iPod, but iTunes has nearly 14,000.)

1. How does the world see you? "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine" by The Killers
This could either mean everybody thinks of me as "a friend," or that I've done something horrible to someone everyone else likes, I guess. "Was" is a bit ominous in context.

2. Will I have a happy life? "Got My Own Thing Now" by Squirrel Nut Zippers
I'll take that as a "yes."

3. What do my friends think of me? "Beautiful" by Aimee Mann
Oh, that's incredibly unlikely. Not even I am that self-deluded.

4. Do people secretly lust after me? "Wages of Sin" by Damien Jurado and Rose Thomas
The answer would appear to be: "Yes, but anyone who does also feels incredibly guilty about it."

5. How can I make myself happy? "For Shame of Doing Wrong" by Richard and Linda Thompson
Being a better husband: that one's pretty clear.

6. What should I do with my life? "Russian Autumn Heart" by The Church
Move to Russia? That's lousy advice, but what do you expect from a jukebox?

7. Will I ever have children? "Red Is the Rose (live)" by The Chieftains and Nanci Griffith
It's a song about true love, so I'd say "yes" is implied. Good thing, too, since I've already got a couple of 'em.

8. What is some good advice for me? "Tristesse" by The Church
That's no help. I'll spin again:
"Pictures in the Sand" by The Kinks
Still not very useful.

9. How will I be remembered? "Ten Laws" by Guadalcanal Diary
Hm. A song about breaking all of the Ten Commandments. Not a good sign, I'd say.

10. What's my signature dancing song? "Stained" by Kristin Hersh
It's utterly undance-able, and the second line is "Hell, you're so weird." That's about right.

11. What's my current theme song? "Al Bowlly's in Heaven" by Richard Thompson
But where am I, then? Well, the song goes on "And I'm in limbo, now," which isn't terribly promising.

12. What do others think is my current theme song? "End of the Season" by The Kinks
Positive interpretation: it's a song about someone missing, so they all miss me.
Negative interpretation: they all think my time is up.

13. What shall they play at my funeral? "38 Line Poem" by The Wonder Stuff
It is a mostly quiet, touching song about friendship, so that's plausible.

14. What type of women do I like? "Treatment Bound" by 1929
Good thing I'm already happily married, then!

15. How's my love life? "Variations on La Danza (1951)" by Carl Stalling and the Warner Brothers Orchestra
Cartoon music, huh? Not a good sign, but, then again, I do already have two kids, so I can't expect much.

The questions are a bit girly, but you have to expect that, coming out of the goopy, lovey-dovey end of the literary world. (Yes, this does seem to be my day to pick on the romance crowd, but I'm sure they can console themselves with their huge sales, armies of devoted fans, and ever-heaving bosoms. Oops, there I go again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment